2018 Western PA FLL Events
Welcome to another fantastic season of FLL in Western Pennsylvania!
Our schedule of season events is being finalized. Here are the currently planned team events for 2018:
FLL COMMUNITY EVENTS (sign up with event organizers)
- August 1st InterTeam KickOff Party – (5:30 p.m. – 8:00 p.m. @ The Sarah Heinz House)
Team# 51 – Not the Droids You Are Looking For, the Sharon Tiger Tech Teams (#577 and #578) and the Sarah Heinz Advanced Robotics Program (SHARP) FRC team are putting on this fantastic event. Come down to the Sarah Heinz House to meet other teams, talk about this years challenge, get ideas for the season and meet several people actively participating in space based projects including Astronaut Jerome Apt and Pete Cunningham from Astrobotic. (All teams are welcome, there is no cost to attend, but we are asking teams/individuals to RSVP through at InterTeam Kickoff Party Sign-up.
- September 6th – Coaches Meeting – via WebEx (6:00 p.m. – 8:00)
To make it easier for more folks to participate this year, we will be having our annual beginning of the season coaches meeting via WebEx. This is an information session where we will review the details on the tournament series and championship for the year, discuss the rules for the new game, and have a broad Q&A opportunity for coaches. All coaches and mentors are welcome to participate. Please RSVP at Coaches Meeting Sign-up if you would like to participate so that we can add you to the WebEx invitation list.
- September 9th – Coaches Coffee – Tips and Challenge Discussion at the BrainSTEM Barn – (12:00 p.m. – 2:00 p.m.) This is an in-person session for any coaches who want to get together to learn more about FLL, team management, how to help your kids get more out of the experience… or just stand around the game table talking with other coaches about the Into Orbit Challenge. (All welcome, but space is limited, so please RSVP at Coaches Coffee Sign-up)
- September 15th – New Team Jump Start Workshop at the BrainSTEM Barn Back by Popular Demand – and Earlier in the season New Teams are invited to this special early season event. Teams will cycle through workshops / mini-classes on design, building, programming, engineering, strategy and presentation skills. Workshops are led by members of strong regional FLL teams, including former champions award winners. This is a great Saturday event for your team early in the season! Cool FTC robots will also be on display! (Location BrainSTEM Barn in Marshall Township) (all new teams welcome, but space is limited to the first 12 teams that RSVP with BrainSTEM at NewTeamWorkshop@brainstemlearning.org) – Doors Open at 8:30 a.m.. Event Starts at 9:00 a.m.. Event will wrap up at 12:30 (ish).
TOURNAMENT SERIES _ EDUCATIONAL SCRIMMAGES
- September 22nd BrainSTEM Barn Blast Bazinga (Saturday, 8:30 – 12:30 p.m.) – Educational Scrimmage
This is the first educational scrimmage of the year and a fantastic opportunity to come and try out a few early missions in a fun, positive group setting. An initial event with lots of feedback, ideas and tips for teams looking to make improvements to their programming and robot between rounds. Both BrainSTEM Robotics FTC teams will be on hand to demonstrate some FTC robots and share things they learned back when they were in FLL. (BrainSTEM Barn in Marshall Township) (limit 12 teams) – Doors open at 8:30 a.m.. Event starts at 9:00 a.m.. Event will wrap up at 12:30 (ish).
- September 29th Magnificent Martian Mashup (Saturday, 8:30 – 12:30 p.m) Educational Scrimmage – Travel to Mars for the second educational scrimmage of the season! Its still super early…. so here is the chance to come try out a few things at the table, get some good advice and work on things as a team. Plenty of dedicated time between rounds to work on adding to your robot and mission strategy! (Glade Run United Presbyterian Church Gymnasium, 1091 Pittsburgh Rd Valencia, PA 16059) (limit 18 teams) – Doors open at 8:30 a.m.. Event starts at 9:00 a.m.. Event will wrap up at 12:30 (ish).
- October 6th The Big Day at OLG (AM & PM)– Educational Scrimmage
A great, south hills venue for a low-pressure event – made just for you to have fun and learn early in the season. Bring your robot, your legos and your programming computer – try out your early missions (its OK… no one is “ready”), get feedback from the referees (and tips from experienced coaches) and then have some dedicated time between rounds to make adjustments (Our Lady of Grace School – Pittsburgh) (Limit 20 Teams per session) AM EVENT runs from 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. (doors open at 8:30). PM EVENT runs from 12:30 p.m. – 4:00 p.m. (doors open at 12:30)
- October 13th Terrific Trojanator Tournament! (Saturday, 8:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.) – Educational Scrimmage – It’s a great time to come ‘Troy” your luck at the home of the fearsome Trojanators Robotics teams (FRC and FTC). Another great educational event with feedback from referees, an opportunity to see what others are doing, and some dedicated time between rounds to make adjustments. (North Catholic High School – Cranberry Township) (limit 20 teams) (Doors open at 8:30 a.m.. Event Starts at 9:00 a.m.. Event will wrap up by 12:30. (Potential to add an afternoon event here as well based on demand)
- October 18th Keep it Snappy! (Thursday, 5:00 p.m. – 7:30 p.m.) – Educational Scrimmage
This Mid-Week educational scrimmage is another great, low pressure educational scrimmages, and our first mid-week event of the year. If your team wants to go to a mid-week, after school event, then this scrimmage and working session is for you. Bring your robot, your legos and your programming computer and try out your very early missions (it’s OK… no one is “ready”), get feedback from referees (and tips from experienced coaches) and then have some dedicated time between rounds to make adjustments. (Snapology – Bethel Park) (limit 12 teams) (Doors open earlier, but scrimmage starts at 5:00)
- October 20th Rosie’s Riveting Revelry (AM and PM) Educational Scrimmage
The Girls of Steel host this week’s events on their practice field at the National Robotics Engineering Center (NREC) in Lawrenceville. This is the last educational scrimmage of the season and your last chase to come out for low-pressure fun! Referees, former FLL participants and other experienced coaches/teams will be there to give feedback and there will be time between round to work on expanding your robot’s capabilities. (NREC – 10 40th Street, Lawrenceville) (limit 10 teams per session) AM EVENT runs from 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. (doors open at 8:30). PM EVENT runs from 12:30 p.m. – 4:00 p.m. (doors open at 12:30)
- October 23rd Talented Titanium Titan Tournament! (Tuesday, 5:30 p.m. – 8:00 p.m.) – Educational Scrimmage
Our last educational scrimmage is another great, low pressure event, and last mid-week event of the year. FRC Team #4467, The Titanium Titans are hosting our southern-most event in Canonsburg. Bring your stuff, have some fun, get another round of feedback from referees (and tips from experienced coaches) and work to get ready for the next level of competition. (Range Resources Building, 3000 Town Center, Blvd, Canonsburg, PA 15317 – (limit 12 teams) (Doors open earlier, but scrimmage starts at 5:30)
TOURNAMENT SERIES – COMPETITIVE SCRIMMAGES
- October 27th Tenacious Tiger Tech Tournmanet (AM Session + PM Field Trip)
Road Trip! Are you ready for a great time! Sharon’s Case Avenue Elementary School has created an amazing destination event for our first competitive scrimmage again this year! This is a straight up robot game competition. Three rounds at the table with awards presented to top performers (and to the team best able to capture the Tiger spirit between rounds… what this means is left open to your interpretation!). There will be a cool NASA artifacts from the Glenn Research Center on display, a DJ, and an incredible chocolate factory tour following the event. Your taste buds won’t regret this trip! Those of you lucky enough to have made it into to this event last year know that it is totally worth the jaunt up to Sharon!
(Sharon Case Avenue Elementary School) (limit 28 teams) – Event Starts at 10:30 a.m.. Event will wrap up at 1:30 (ish) and be followed by a chocolate factory tour from 2:00-3:00.
- November 3rd Sewickley Academy Fall Fest (AM & PM) – Competitive Scrimmage
The SA Fall Fest promises to be a blast for teams with another three rounds of the robot game and awards presented to top performers (and the team with the most inspirational team banner). (Sewickley Academy, Sewickley) (limit 24 teams per session) –AM Event: Doors open @ 8:00 a.m., Competition starts at 9:00 a.m., Ends at 12:00 p.m. PM Event: Doors open @ 12:30, Competition starts at 1:00, Ends at 4:00 p.m.
- November 10th Aquinas Summa Robotica (AM & PM) – Competitive Scrimmage
We’re back again this year for another set of great events at the Aquinas School in Gibsonia. Three rounds of the robot game and awards presented to top performers (and the team with best original, space-themed song). (Aquinas Academy, Gibsonia) (limit 24 teams per session) – AM Event: Doors open @ 8:00 a.m., Competition starts at 9:00 a.m., Ends at 12:00 p.m. PM Event: Doors open @ 12:30, Competition starts at 1:00, Ends at 4:00 p.m.
- November 17th The Shady Side Open (AM & PM) – Competitive Scrimmage
An annual tradition! November robotics in an idyllic setting! Everyone knows its cool in the Shade… and nothing is cooler the 2nd week in November than our Competitive Scrimmage at Shady Side Middle School! Like all of our competitive scrimmages, this will be a straight Robot Game competition. Three rounds at the table with awards presented to top performers (and to the team with the best joke at intraround open mike sessions). (Shady Side Academy, Fox Chapel) (limit 20 teams) – AM Event: Doors open @ 8:00 a.m., Competition starts at 9:00 a.m., Ends at 12:00 p.m. PM Event: Doors open @ 12:30, Competition starts at 1:00, Ends at 4:00 p.m.
- December 1st The SenSESHANal Winter Celebration (AM and PM) – Competitive Scrimmage –
The Latest and Greatest Scrimmage of the Season! Come to the Boys and Girls Club of Lawrenceville for a great last blast before the Grand Championship Tournament. Sanjay and Arvind Seshan are your tournament hosts for this final “sensational celebration”! Get some final practice and advice on your robot game from last year’s World Festival Champions Award Winners! Three rounds at the table with awards presented to top performers (and to the individual or group of individuals with the most amazing winter outfit). (Boys and Girls Club, 4600 Butler St. Pittsburgh, PA 15201) (limit 20 teams) – AM Event: Doors open @ 8:00 a.m., Competition starts at 9:00 a.m., Ends at 12:00 p.m. PM Event: Doors open @ 12:30, Competition starts at 1:00, Ends at 4:00 p.m.
TOURNAMENT SERIES 2018 GRAND CHAMPIONSHIP TOURNAMENT (Robot Game and Full Judging of Robot, Programming, Project and Core Values)
- Date: December 7th – 9th, 2018
- Location: Sewickley Academy – 315 Academy Ave, Sewickley, PA 15143
Welcome to the greatest celebratory event of the season! Both divisions will be having their championships concurrently at Sewickley Academy this weekend. The details for time and dates specific to the OPEN Division and the Scholastic Division will be forthcoming