2019 Western PA FLL Events
Welcome to another fantastic season of FLL in Western Pennsylvania!
Our schedule of season events is being finalized. Here are the currently planned team events for 2019 (full color) (and examples of other events from 2018 (greyed out). This will be updated as event dates are finalized.
FLL COMMUNITY EVENTS (sign up with event organizers)
- August 3rd 2019 – InterTeam KickOff Party – (12:30 p.m. – 2:30 p.m. @ 4401 Gates-Hillman Building, Carnegie Mellon University)
This is the 6th Annual Kickoff Event for teams in Western PA. Come see the CITY SHAPER challenge set in person and learn what all the missions are. Get advice and tips from Champion’s teams. Hear from experts related to the theme and get a jump start on your project research. One of the experts is Nina Chase, an urban architect. Please come prepared to ask her questions. You can learn about her work here (https://www.merrittchase.com).In addition, the building we are meeting in was awarded LEED status (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) which is based on being sustainable, water efficient, etc. https://www.cmu.edu/environment/campus-green-design/green-buildings/gates-complex.htmlAfter the event is over, you can attend the Steel City Showdown FIRST Robotics Competition at the CMU gym if you are interested in seeing what the high school FIRST programs look like. (https://www.scrashowdown.com/)There are numerous parking lots on campus (https://www.cmu.edu/parking/about/index.html).Register Here: https://forms.gle/yYgLAmgQdNrWKNpN9Contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
- September 5th 2019 – Coaches Meeting – via WebEx (6:00 p.m. – 8:00)
To make it easier for more folks to participate this year, we will be having our annual beginning of the season coaches meeting via WebEx. This is an information session where we will review the details on the tournament series and championship for the year, discuss the rules for the new game, and have a broad Q&A opportunity for coaches. All coaches and mentors are welcome to participate. Please RSVP at Coaches Meeting Sign-up if you would like to participate so that we can add you to the WebEx invitation list.
- September 8th 2019 – Coaches Coffee – Tips and Challenge Discussion at the BrainSTEM Barn – (12:00 p.m. – 2:00 p.m.) This is an in-person session for any coaches who want to get together to learn more about FLL, team management, how to help your kids get more out of the experience… or just stand around the game table talking with other coaches about the Into Orbit Challenge. (All welcome, but space is limited, so please RSVP at Coaches Coffee Sign-up)
- September 14th 2019 – New Team Jump Start Workshop at the BrainSTEM Barn Back by Popular Demand – and Earlier in the season New Teams are invited to this special early season event. Teams will cycle through workshops / mini-classes on design, building, programming, engineering, strategy and presentation skills. Workshops are led by members of strong regional FLL teams, including former champions award winners. This is a great Saturday event for your team early in the season! Cool FTC robots will also be on display! (Location BrainSTEM Barn in Marshall Township) (all new teams welcome, but space is limited to the first 12 teams that RSVP with BrainSTEM at NewTeamWorkshop@brainstemlearning.org) – Doors Open at 8:30 a.m.. Event Starts at 9:00 a.m.. Event will wrap up at 12:30 (ish).
TOURNAMENT SERIES _ EDUCATIONAL SCRIMMAGES
- September 21st 2019 BrainSTEM Barn Blast Bazinga (Saturday, 8:30 – 12:30 p.m.) – Educational Scrimmage
This is the first educational scrimmage of the year and a fantastic opportunity to come and try out a few early missions in a fun, positive group setting. An initial event with lots of feedback, ideas and tips for teams looking to make improvements to their programming and robot between rounds. Both BrainSTEM Robotics FTC teams will be on hand to demonstrate some FTC robots and share things they learned back when they were in FLL. (BrainSTEM Barn in Marshall Township) (limit 12 teams) – Doors open at 8:30 a.m.. Event starts at 9:00 a.m.. Event will wrap up at 12:30 (ish).
- September 28th 2019 – Aliquippa’s Awesome Assembly (Saturday, 8:30 – 12:30 p.m) Educational Scrimmage – Roboticists Assemble! … at Aliquippa High School for our newest educational scrimmage venue! Its still super early…. so here is the chance to come try out a few things at the table, get some good advice and work on things as a team. Plenty of dedicated time between rounds to work on adding to your robot and mission strategy! (Aliquippa High School School Gymnasium, 100 Harding Avenue, Aliquippa PA 15001) (limit 24 teams) – Doors open at 8:30 a.m.. Event starts at 9:00 a.m.. Event will wrap up at 12:30 (ish).
- October 5th 2019 – The Big Day at OLG (AM & PM)– Educational Scrimmage
A great, south hills venue for a low-pressure event – made just for you to have fun and learn early in the season. Bring your robot, your legos and your programming computer – try out your early missions (its OK… no one is “ready”), get feedback from the referees (and tips from experienced coaches) and then have some dedicated time between rounds to make adjustments (Our Lady of Grace School – Pittsburgh) (Limit 20 Teams per session) AM EVENT runs from 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. (doors open at 8:30). PM EVENT runs from 12:30 p.m. – 4:00 p.m. (doors open at 12:30)
- October 12th 2019 – Magnificent Martian Mashup (Saturday, 8:30 – 12:30 p.m) Educational Scrimmage – Travel to Mars for the second educational scrimmage of the season! Its still super early…. so here is the chance to come try out a few things at the table, get some good advice and work on things as a team. Plenty of dedicated time between rounds to work on adding to your robot and mission strategy! (Glade Run United Presbyterian Church Gymnasium, 1091 Pittsburgh Rd Valencia, PA 16059) (limit 18 teams) – Doors open at 8:30 a.m.. Event starts at 9:00 a.m.. Event will wrap up at 12:30 (ish).
- October 15th 2019 – Talented Titanium Titan Tournament! (Tuesday, 5:30 p.m. – 8:00 p.m.) – Educational Scrimmage
Another great, low pressure event, and last mid-week event of the year. FRC Team #4467, The Titanium Titans are hosting our southern-most event in Canonsburg. Bring your stuff, have some fun, get another round of feedback from referees (and tips from experienced coaches) and work to get ready for the next level of competition. (Range Resources Building, 3000 Town Center, Blvd, Canonsburg, PA 15317 – (limit 12 teams) (Doors open earlier, but scrimmage starts at 5:30)
- October 19th 2019 – Rosie’s Riveting Revelry (AM and PM) Educational Scrimmage
The Girls of Steel host this week’s event at Carnegie Mellon University’s main Campus in Oakland. This is the last educational scrimmage of the season and your last chase to come out for low-pressure fun! Referees, former FLL participants and other experienced coaches/teams will be there to give feedback and there will be time between round to work on expanding your robot’s capabilities. (CMU – Newell Simon Hall ) (limit 10 teams per session) AM EVENT runs from 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. (doors open at 8:30). PM EVENT runs from 12:30 p.m. – 4:00 p.m. (doors open at 12:30)
TOURNAMENT SERIES – COMPETITIVE SCRIMMAGES
- October 26th 2019 Tenacious Tiger Tech Tournament (AM Session + PM Field Trip)
Road Trip! Are you ready for a great time! Sharon’s Case Avenue Elementary School has created an amazing destination event for our first competitive scrimmage again this year! This is a straight up robot game competition. Three rounds at the table with awards presented to top performers (and to the team best able to capture the Tiger spirit between rounds… what this means is left open to your interpretation!). There will be a cool field trip for teams to incorporate into their day following the event… more details to come City Shapers!) (Sharon Case Avenue Elementary School) (limit 28 teams) – Event Starts at 10:30 a.m.. Event will wrap up at 1:30 (ish) and be followed by a chocolate factory tour from 2:00-3:00.
- November 2nd 2019 – Sewickley Academy Fall Fest (AM & PM) – Competitive Scrimmage
The SA Fall Fest promises to be a blast for teams with another three rounds of the robot game and awards presented to top performers (and the team with the most inspirational team banner). (Sewickley Academy, Sewickley) (limit 24 teams per session) –AM Event: Doors open @ 8:00 a.m., Competition starts at 9:00 a.m., Ends at 12:00 p.m. PM Event: Doors open @ 12:30, Competition starts at 1:00, Ends at 4:00 p.m.
- November 9th 2019 – Aquinas Summa Robotica (AM & PM) – Competitive Scrimmage
We’re back again this year for another set of great events at the Aquinas School in Gibsonia. Three rounds of the robot game and awards presented to top performers (and the team with best original, building-themed song). (Aquinas Academy, Gibsonia) (limit 24 teams per session) – AM Event: Doors open @ 8:00 a.m., Competition starts at 9:00 a.m., Ends at 12:00 p.m. PM Event: Doors open @ 12:30, Competition starts at 1:00, Ends at 4:00 p.m.
- November 16th 2019 – The Shady Side Open (AM & PM) – Competitive Scrimmage
An annual tradition! November robotics in an idyllic setting! Everyone knows its cool in the Shade… and nothing is cooler the 2nd week in November than our Competitive Scrimmage at Shady Side Middle School! Like all of our competitive scrimmages, this will be a straight Robot Game competition. Three rounds at the table with awards presented to top performers (and to the team with the best joke at intraround open mike sessions). (Shady Side Academy, Fox Chapel) (limit 20 teams) – AM Event: Doors open @ 8:00 a.m., Competition starts at 9:00 a.m., Ends at 12:00 p.m. PM Event: Doors open @ 12:30, Competition starts at 1:00, Ends at 4:00 p.m.
- December 7th 2019 A Galaxy Far Far Away (AM only) – Competitive Scrimmage –
You don’t have to travel to another galaxy! Just come to Lawrenceville for a great last adventure before the Grand Championship Tournament. FRC Team, Not the Droids You are Looking For, are your tournament hosts. This scrimmage will offer optional presentation feedback for anyone who wants a practice judging session before the Championship. Three rounds at the table with awards presented to top performers (and to the individual team with the best Star Wars joke). (Boys and Girls Club, 4600 Butler St. Pittsburgh, PA 15201) (limit 22 teams) – AM Event: Doors open @ 8:00 a.m., Competition starts at 9:00 a.m., Ends by 1:30 p.m.
TOURNAMENT SERIES 2019 GRAND CHAMPIONSHIP TOURNAMENT (Robot Game and Full Judging of Robot, Programming, Project and Core Values)
- Date: Saturday, December 14th, 2019 – Grand Championship – SCHOLASTIC Division
Sunday, December 15th, 2019 – Grand Championship – OPEN Division
Location: Sewickley Academy – 315 Academy Ave, Sewickley, PA 15143
Welcome to the greatest celebratory event of the season! Both divisions will be having their championships consecutively at Sewickley Academy this weekend. The details for times specific to the OPEN Division and the Scholastic Division will be forthcoming